CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS inGrundtvig Workshop: GRU-13-GRAT-21-TM
“LITERACY EDUCATION IN PRISON: POLICIES, PRACTICES, ETHNOGRAFIES OF A ‘THIRD SPACE’”
Language of the Workshop: English
Organising Institution: Tibiscus University of Timişoara, Romania
Period: 18-23 November 2013
COSTS AND APPLICATION
The workshop is funded through the Longlife Learning Program by the European Comission. All costs (travel, accommodation, workshop related costs) during the workshop are fully covered.
The participants will arrive mainly by plane, and will be received at the airport. Accommodation price also covers transfer from and to airport. They will be hosted in Timisoara, Romania.
Complete the attached *registration form* and send it by email to by 27 October 2013. Only applications received by email will be considered. Selection will be made based on the assessment of your experience and involvement in literacy and education programs with inmates according to the information provided in the registration form. Selection results will be announced until 1 of November. All applicants will be informed about the selection results.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Teachers teaching basic skills, educators and trainers/counsellors who are to support prisoner education and development in prisons across Europe.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS FOR PARTICIPANTS ?
- The participants will be able to understand, quote and use the latest policy, research and best practices in the area of literacy education in prisons.
- They will acquire a broader perspective on prisons as ‘thirdspace’ for learning and socialisation.
- They will be able to relate better with their target audience and to draw upon the needs of this audience in designing literac yprogrammes, activities and events.
- The participating teachers and educators will be able to choose reading and writing texts that acknowledge literacy as a situated practice.
- The participants will establish new contacts and will be able to position themselves as confident professionals within their institutions and networks.
WHAT TOPICS WE PROPOSE FOR DISCUSSION AND PRACTICE?
The programme of the Workshop
State of the Art & State of the Play in literacy education for prisoners
European approaches regarding Education in Prison – different realities in different countries
A ’literacy’ portrait of the offender
Self-study & work slot
Approaches to Literacy: New Literacy Studies
Approaches to Literacy: Ethnography
Approaches to Literacy: Third Space
Self-study & work slot
Prison for young offenders visit – Romanian experience regarding Education and Literacy in Prison – sharing experience with Romanian Prison staff
Literacy in prisons: actors, relations.
Needs analysis: the learner
Prison for adults offenders visit – Romanian experience regarding Education and Literacy in Prison – sharing experience with Romanian Prison staff
Literacy in prisons: spaces, actions, events.
Methods and activities that motivate
Literacy in prisons: texts, instruments and tasks that count
How to design learning materials in accordance to the specific realities
Literacy towards employability and inclusion
Facilitating social inclusion through literacy
A Certificate of participation will be provided at the end of the workshop.